Laws exist to protect our rights and safeguard us against unfair exploitation and abuse. Legal systems, in various forms, have been around for thousands of years and there are laws governing just about everything under the sun, from what side of the road you can drive on, to the amount of money you’re allowed to earn before you have to pay taxes. Violate the law and there will be consequences. Having been part of #LockdownSA, we all know how laws can affect, and even interrupt, our day to day lives. But what exactly are environmental laws and how do they affect us?
What is environmental law?
Environmental law protects the environment and regulates how people may use natural resources. It prescribes how natural resources can be exploited in a way that will ensure sustainability of the resource, whilst not being destructive to the environment. There are two main segments to environmental laws – the control of pollution, and the conservation and management of natural resources. Both sections aim to protect our land, air, water, and soil. The “polluter pays” principle is mainly applied in the implementation of environmental law.
What do environmental laws regulate?
Environmental laws regulate the following:
- Air quality: ensuring that air pollution levels remain at levels not harmful to humans, animals, and plants, and to safeguard against the depletion of the ozone layer.
- Water quality and quantity: keeping water pollution levels down, water demand management, determining which areas have access to what water, and finding ways to manage potential polluting issues like treating wastewater and managing surface run off.
- Waste management: ensuring the proper disposal of municipal waste, hazardous materials, etc.
- Chemical safety: managing the use of pesticides and chemicals used in products such as plastic bottles.
- Soil and land resources: contaminant clean ups including the managing of hazardous material clean ups when needed and imposing criminal punishment for polluters.
- Hunting and fishing: regulating and protecting wildlife populations and issuing hunting and fishing permits.
Letsolo and environmental law:
Having been in the environmental industry for around 12 years now, Letsolo Water and Environmental Services understands the considerable amount of strain the environment is under and works tirelessly to make a difference and create a lasting impression on the protection and preservation of our environment’s natural resources. We strictly adhere to all environmental laws and proudly conduct our business with passion and concern for the environment.
For more information about our company, please contact us: https://lwes.co.za/contact-us/